Crane Collapse Downplayed By Sembcorp

Published at 11:20AM - 02/03/16

Crane collapse downplayed by Sembcorp Marine as the company briefs the media on a different scale of events from drilling rig owners Noble Corp.

Sembcorp Marine’s move comes after Noble Corporation announced that their new build jackup drilling rig had been damaged due to the collapse of a shipyard crane boom.

The international offshore drilling contractor announced the incident Tuesday 1st March, although the incident itself took place on February 28th.

Crane Collapse Downplayed By Sembcorp

In a press release, Noble Corp stated that its new build drilling rig, the Noble Lloyd Noble: “sustained damage on February 28, 2016 following the collapse of a shipyard crane boom operating near the rig.”

However, the shipyard’s owners , Sembcorp, have moved to downplay the incident with a company spokesman stating: “A shore crane at Sembcorp Marine Tanjong Kling Yard was lifting a bundle of scaffold planks from the newbuild jackup Noble Lloyd Noble to the quayside.”

“During the lifting operation, the boom of the said shore crane came into contact with another crane on the jackup, damaging the latter.”

Noble Lloyd Noble Rig Delivery

Noble Corporations latest drilling rig, is named after the company’s founder Lloyd Noble, and is scheduled for delivery during the second quarter of 2016.

Upon delivery it is due to travel straight to the Norwegian sector of the North Sea to start work on a contract with oil major Statoil. The contract stipulates that drilling work must commence no later than March 1st  2017.

In its statement released Tuesday Noble said that it was unable to comment on the scale of the damage or give an indication to whether the jackup would be delivered on time.

Noble said: “A thorough rig damage assessment is required before a revised schedule of delivery and contract commencement can be determined.”

“The Singapore Ministry of Manpower has commenced an investigation into the cause of the incident and access to the rig is limited during the initial phase of the investigation.”

However Sembcorp have stated Wednesday that the damage will not effect the drilling rigs delivery, stating: “We believe the damage to be minor and that the rig’s scheduled delivery in the second quarter of 2016 will not be affected.”