ExxonMobil Gets Consent for Offshore North Sea Work

Published at 11:54AM - 11/08/16

The Norwegian Petroleum Safety Authority (PSA) has granted ExxonMobil consent to use two mobile drilling facilities for light well intervention in the Sleipner area of the Norwegian North Sea.

The supermajor will use Island Frontier and Island Wellserver in production licence 072, where ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Norway is the operator.

“The activities are scheduled to start in August and last to the end of 2016. The period may also be extended into 2017 if the availability of the facilities so dictate,” PSA informed in a statement.

ExxonMobil Gets Consent for Offshore North Sea Work

“It is provisionally uncertain as to which facility will be used for the well intervention, since this depends on optimising the work scheduled for the two facilities,” PSA stated further.

The two facilities – Island Frontier and Island Wellserver – are owned by Island Offshore, based in Ulsteinvik, and were built in 2004 and 2008, respectively.

Island Frontier was built at the Søviknes yard. It is registered in Norway and classified by DNV GL.

ExxonMobil Gets Consent for Offshore North Sea Work
Island Offshore’s Offshore Wellserver RLWI Vessel

The vessel received an Acknowledgement of Compliance (AoC) by the PSA in October 2006.

Island Wellserver was built at the Aker Langsten yard. It is registered in Norway and classified by DNV GL.

The vessel received an AoC by the PSA in April 2009.

Exxon to Intervene in the Norwegian North Sea

The Sigyn field contains gas, condensate and light oil and has been in production since 2002.

Located 222 kilometres (137.9 miles) from Stavanger and at a water depth of 70 metres (229.6 feet), it has been developed using a subsea well template.

Sigyn consist of two gas/condensate producers and one oil producer connected to the Sleipner A platform, located 12 kilometres (7.45 miles) northwest of the well template.

In 2015, the average production the field was 18 million standard cubic feet of gas per day and 2,400 barrels of condensate per day, ExxonMobil informed in its website.

ExxonMobil operates the field with a 40% interest, while Statoil owns the remaining 60%.