Kosmos Energy Has Major Gas Discovery Offshore Mauritania

Published at 09:55AM - 29/04/15

Kosmos, the Dallas-based oil and gas exploration and production firm, has announced that it has made a ‘significant, play-opening’ natural gas discovery at its Greater Tortue Complex, offshore Mauritania, West Africa.

Kosmos drilled the Tortue-1 exploration well to test the Tortue West prospect in Block C-8 of the complex. According to the company’s press release, preliminary analysis of drilling results and intermediate logging to a depth of 4,630 meters indicate that the well has intersected 107 meters (351 feet) of net hydrocarbon pay.

Kosmos chairman and chief executive officer, Andrew G. Inglis, said: ‘Volumetrically, the Tortue-1 well has far exceeded our pre-drill expectations and has discovered a large-scale gas resource. Our seismic imaging indicates the areal extent of Tortue West could cover approximately 90 square kilometres that will be better defined with appraisal drilling.’

Inglis also commented that the Tortue-1 well discovery has significantly improved the risk-profile of the company’s offshore Mauritania deepwater project, which, at 27,000 kilometres square, is both large and unexplored.

kosmos_energy_mauritania_mapKosmos is now planning an appraisal programme to delineate the discovery, and will undertake further exploration in the area. Later this year, the company expects to spud the Marsouin-1 exploration well, which is located in the central part of Block C-8. It is also formulating a testing programme for the Tortue East and Tortue North prospects, supported by 3D seismic data acquired in 2014.

Kosmos holds a 90% stake in the Tortue Prospect, while Société Mauritanienne Des Hydrocarbures et de Patrimoine Minier holds the remaining 10%.