Shell announces Malaysia deep-water gas discovery

Published at 10:00AM - 17/04/14

Royal Dutch Shell Malaysia has announced a new deep-water discovery 135 kilometres (84 miles) off the Sarawak coast, Malaysian Borneo.  The successful exploration well ‘Rosmari-1’in Block SK318 was drilled to a total depth of 2,123 metres (6,965 feet), with Shell stating the well encountered more than 450 metres  (1,476 feet) of gas column.  With further exploration planned in the region, the finding is a positive indicator of the gas potential in an area of strategic interest for Shell.

Andy Brown, Director Shell Upstream International said “Rosmari-1 is a testament to our ability to successfully drill and build understanding of new geology within our existing exploration heartlands, adding value to our existing assets in Malaysia,” “We are expanding and rejuvenating heartlands across our exploration portfolio, including in Brunei, Australia and the Gulf of Mexico.”

Iain Lo, Chairman Shell Malaysia added “This adds to Shell’s sequence of recent exploration successes in Malaysia, with these discoveries expanding the company’s heartlands positions.”

Block SK318 is Shell operated with an 85% interest, with the remaining 15% held by Malaysia’s national oil company PETRONAS.

Last updated on 09:52AM - 20/04/14