Super Puma Helicopter Ban Lifted

Published at 03:42PM - 07/10/16

The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) announced today it has decided to lift the temporary flight suspension of two Super Puma helicopters.

According to a statement issued by the agency, the ban was lifted on the Super Puma EC225 LP and AS332 L2 helicopters from Airbus Helicopters.

“We maintain our full support to the investigation led by the Accident Investigation Bureau of Norway (AIBN) for the accident,” the agency explained.

Super Puma Helicopter Ban Lifted

“This action continues to address the initial safety recommendation on EASA and we will address any further recommendations addressed to EASA,” the agency said.

According to EASA, the “very stringent” protective measures which enable the decision including the elimination of a specific type of gearbox planet gear involved in the accident and its replacement by a different type, which has shown a reliable service life.

Super Puma Helicopter Ban Lifted
The Super Puma was involved in a fatal crash in April

Also, an additional safety factor was applied to the demonstrated service life of this gear type, resulting in the time before replacement being reduced to less than half its current value.

As well as this, the daily inspection or inspection after 10 flight hours, whichever comes first, of the chip detectors, and every 10 flight hours, for the oil filter.

Airbus Helicopters under Safety Monitoring

As well as this, the aviation safety agency said that all main gearboxes that have suffered from unusual events will be withdrawn from service.

The agency noted further that it will closely monitor the compliance action taken by the helicopter manufacturer and operators following the return to service along with operational information.

EASA has been closely monitoring the analysis and tests conducted by Airbus Helicopters, the agency explained.

The ban had been put in place on June 2 after a fatal accident involving an EC225 LP helicopter in Norway on April 29.

The Super Puma aircraft operated by CHC crashed near Bergen while returning to land from a Statoil platform located offshore Norway.